Review - Federico Bertolucci's LOVE animal comics
Last year I wanted to find and read comics that are an adventure, and preferably play in a dense, green and lush jungle. I came across the LOVE comics, written by Frédéric Brrémaud and drawn by Federico Bertolucci, published by Magnetic press between 2011 and 2021. The first issue is called "The Tiger", which actually plays in a jungle.
What's so special about LOVE comics?
The 5 comics (the Tiger, the Fox, the Lion, the Dinosaur, the Mastiff) are all word-less comics, no speech bubbles, no dialogue. They play out as one day in each of the animals' life, albeit a very compressed day with sometimes exceptional and rare incidents. No animal in the wild would realistically meet that many animals in one day, or experiencing a volcano outbreak is nothing you would see every day.
But of course the focus is on story-telling, so showing an animal resting for the most of the day would probably not the best use of 50 pages.
But why are they called LOVE? Choosing a title like that makes them super-hard to find on the internet, but there is a quote about its purpose in the beginning of each book:
In the animal kingdom, animals neither love or hate each other.
Love and hate are parts of a natural whole. A supreme balance many consider to be universal. Or even divine. An elemental love.
A love that mankind could never experience.
Despite not having any dialogue, these comics are utterly entertaining. You could be forgiven for rushing through the pages, but I urge you to take your time and soak in all the panels and their details. Sometimes I was missing a few details of animals in the shadow that would be revealed on the next page just because I was not looking close enough, leaving me a bit puzzled. Of course, all my own fault.
![]() |
| Sample page from The Lion. See how the cheetah in panel 3 is lightly hinted at before the medium shot in panel 4. |
The books are rated for 8-14 year olds, but I don't care and you shouldn't either, I am convinced these beautiful comics are enjoyable by everyone, especially when you are a fan of wildlife and animals.
If you are not sold on the books yet, the publisher created trailers for each issue which nail the atmosphere, it's hard to not get a book after seeing for example this.
Amazing animal drawings and more
Bertolucci's drawings are magnificent. Just outstanding! It is like I could jump into the pages and smell the air of the jungle, or in other occasions the sea or savanna. I wish I could draw like this! His skills are not coincidence as he has been drawing comics for Disney Italia in the past.
![]() |
| Sample page from the Mastiff |
![]() |
| Left side taken from Magnetic Press https://www.magnetic-press.com/love/. Right side By Rufus46 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=35966715 |
Despite my little nagging, these books are really top-notch in terms of animal drawings. Each book covers a vast menagerie of animal characters which are being explored next to the main character. Especially in "The Mastiff" we see other subjects going about their lives, snakes, platypuses and koalas searching for food and avoiding to land on a plate themselves.
Even more astounding are the lavish environments these stories take place in.
Federico Bertolucci's drawing process
Luckily enough there is a video on YouTube by himself, showing the step-by-step process of bringing one of these amazing pages to life.
What’s astonishing about his process are the amount of different steps he takes to create these layered pages.





Comments
Post a Comment